Avant-garde control measures in combination with textile and paints using industrial applications
Leader: Prof. Christian Fischer, Germany
Vice Leader: Prof. Ana Marija Grancaric, Croatia
This group will be responsible for the implication of the Action gained knowledge towards the control measures combining mosquito repellent drugs applied to nano- or micro-particles and their treatment on textile and wall paints. Some participants have previous experience in the development of chemicals for the functionalization of textiles, polymers or other materials. The development of textiles with activity against microbes and insects are actual research issues in the area of textile chemistry. The expertise on the finishing of textiles against degradation by the larvae of moths or carpet beetles also exists. From this, comprehensive knowledge on insecticides (natural and synthetic insecticides and repellents), the finishing of textiles with insecticides and the analysis of insecticides and textiles treated with insecticides is available. In recent years, the research has expanded to the development of functional finishes for textiles or other materials against mosquitoes. The development of several approaches aiming
at the protection of textiles from degradation by insect foraging and the protection of humans against mosquito bites, and thus contamination with vectors is also of interest in this consortium.
- Nano- or micro-scale polymer gels containing cyclodextrins as hydrophobic pockets for the complexation of insecticides, repellents or other hydrophobic active agents and their application onto textile surfaces;
- Possible Silicium dioxide based nano-capsules which could be used as carriers for insecticides or repellents after application and binding to textile surfaces;
- Within the frame of the IMAAC Action, the participants in this WG will contribute in the development of mosquito repellent technologies by textile and paint functionalization;
- The focus of this group will be also to develop new repellents, insecticides or pesticides through gained knowledge in IMAAC and help the application of these products to industrial use.
- To meet in formal COST Action Workshop yearly primarily to discuss the delivery of the objectives and inform other groups on developments;
- Contribute to the Action by overtaking the evaluation of the known and newly developed procedures to treat textiles or paints (or new materials like tiles etc.) with insect repellents and insecticides. This task will be performed in close co-operation with industry and research groups in the network.
- The partners in this WG will evaluate the mentioned finishing procedures from the industrial aspect.
- Development of new materials with the mosquito repellent nano- or micro-particles
- Publication of results in relevant journals